Saturday, September 26, 2009

Two pizzas, two very hungry people, and one homeless man.

Today was a day I spent with Caro. I am so excited to say I do have a winter jacket that is very warm. Janet, I want to tell you that I have been shopping wisely looking for warm clothes, and today I bought no short sleeve shirts. I feel proud just because I know you are smiling. I finally have a head, and am using it. ha.

After a morning of trying on clothes with things too way too small, and coming away with no skirts, Caro and I were so hungry we decided to get something to eat. So we wondered through the city looking for food, and then we found something that smelled so wonderful. Of course, it was the best pizza in the world... okay not really. It was good though with water to drink.

So we're walking through the city to go and find a good place in the park to sit and enjoy our food, but before we got there we passed by a homeless man. And guys, I did exactly what the Bible tells us not to. I looked over at this man, and looked quickly away. But not only did I look away quickly, I looked away disgusted at this man.

So I went along and we found a great place to sit, and we were eating and we were sitting there and eating. I guess I was just sitting there with a blank look on my face that many of you know. Caro snapped her fingers, and ask what I was thinking about. We talked for a little bit about going back home, and about how I am so different now, and how I'll be more different in 8 months. I looked up at Caro in the middle of a sentence and said, maybe you'll think I am completely crazy, but I can't eat this. And she ask, "Why not? You're hungry.." And I said I can't eat the rest of this when I know he is hungry.

I know this isn't German, and I know that all of the people will probably say things, but I just have to do this. Caro, knowing that I am always really thristy, she gave me her water.... I just said I've got to give this to him too. She said, "Okay let's go."

We did discuss the thought of what if he only wanted money for drugs or alcohol, or something, and we decided that if this was just a pose for cigarettes or pot or something that he'd tell us that he didn't want the cigarettes. So we continued on our journey to talking to this man. I ask whether I should, "siest" him which is basically in English say mister... So she said... Sie. (Mister).

So we walked over to the man, and I asked this guy if he was hungry. And he said yes. And I gave him only two pieces of the whole pizza I had. And then I went on to ask, are you thirsty? And he said yes. And I gave him Caro's half empty bottle of water, and then the thought of loving other people more set in my heart and my head. I kept saying I want to give him a whole pizza, and a whole bottle of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment