Saturday, October 3, 2009

Chemie zu Hause. :)



There is yeast in wine, and that combined with the juice, sugar, and chemical thing produce CO2 which comes out of this thingy that is located on top of our wine globe.



The beginning of apple wine. Looks gross, huh?

All our supplies. :)

A page in our little book that says, "The little Wine labortory."

The recepie. :)
I have to say that my love for Chemistry is just growing here while I am on this journey. It's such a cool thing, and it is part of your everyday life. How cool is that?

So today I got up pretty late, had coffee, and an applesorle with Oma and Opa, and then I spent the rest of my afternoon in the kitchen with Rolf, Doris, and for a little while Maike. (She had music practice today.) Yeah, so I spent a lot of time sitting pealing apples. Over fifty apples have come and gone from us today. Some for an apple cake, which is absolutely yummy. Then we need 12 Liters of fresh apple juice for the wine we made today.

I've never made wine before so this was totally cool. And on top of that I did realize how much Chemistry these wine makers needed to produce their wine. After you have gone through the pealing, cutting, and juicing of the apples, you must put in Vitamin C so that it isn't that nasty brown color, and then you must also calculate how acidic the apple juice is. And honestly, it wasn't. So we had to put 40 grams of this chemical in the wine to make it acidic. We had to zero out the scale just like in Chemistry.

And before you can do that, you must calculate how much of this chemical you need for every liter of wine you have. HOW COOL! (I got to use my calculater to do this by the way.)
Totally cool and new experience. Now I have to wait until Christmas to see the finished product.

Just thought I'd tell you our new adventure of the day. Remember to always try things, you never know how much joy you'll get from learning something new. :)
In Him,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment